MARKS OF EXCELLENCE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
2023 High School Graduates and Post-Secondary Students
Applicants are encouraged to attend the Scholarship Informational Session scheduled for Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 11 AM at the Men of Bates building (610 E. Breckinridge Street). This session will provide guidance on completing the Bates scholarship applications.
The Marks of Excellence Scholarship is designed to honor a well-rounded high school graduate or post-secondary student for academic achievement. Minimum required cumulative GPA is 3.0.
Carefully review the instructions below:
A Complete Marks of Excellence Scholarship Application Packet MUST Contain:
● Completed and Signed Marks of Excellence Scholarship Application Form
● Completed Checklist for desired scholarship
● Typed Essay
● OFFICIAL Transcript
● Two Recommendation Letters
● High School Graduates- Proof of acceptance to Post-Secondary Institution
Post-Secondary Students-Current proof of enrollment in Post-Secondary Institution
Official transcripts are to be sent in a secure email by the school's registrar office or through a third-party electronic credentials service (e.g. Parchment) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If official transcripts cannot be emailed, official sealed transcripts must be mailed by the school's registrar office or a third-party electronic credentials service to:
Bates Memorial Baptist Church
ATTN: Director of Christian Education
620 Lampton Street
Louisville, KY 40203
Two non-family recommendation letters are required to complete your application. Recommenders should be employers, community/public service organization leaders, ministry leaders, education professionals (teachers, counselors, principals, etc.), mentors, or coaches. Letters written on letterhead are preferred. Recommendation letters should include the following information:
● Description of the recommender's relationship with the applicant
● Description of the applicant's abilities, qualities, and characteristics
● Description of the applicant's accomplishments or achievements
● Summary of why the recommender is making a recommendation on behalf of the applicant.
Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the recommenders email addresses to the Director of Christian Education at email@example.com. Please include, "RE: Bates Scholarship Recommendation" in the subject line of the email.
All Scholarship Application information is to be submitted electronically. Please contact the Bates Director of Christian Education at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to submit a complete packet in an alternate way. All required documents for The Bates Scholarship packets MUST BE RECEIVED VIA EMAIL (or in the Administrative Office at Bates Memorial Baptist Church, 620 Lampton Street) NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, MAY 3, 2023 at 4PM.
● You must be a member of Bates Memorial Baptist Church to apply for any scholarship
● Incomplete applications will not be considered for any scholarship
● Finalists may be asked to meet briefly with the Scholarship Committee
● Applicants can apply for all applicable scholarships, but will ONLY be awarded ONE scholarship
● Please make sure you have reviewed and verified the applicable Scholarship Checklist for this submission and you have attached your essay and proof of acceptance or current enrollment to a post-secondary institution with this application before you click SUBMIT
● Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend the Bates Marks of Excellence Ceremony on Friday, June 2, 2023.
● If awarded a scholarship, you must provide proof of enrollment to a post-secondary institution for Fall 2023 and the address of the institution's financial aid office. This information must be submitted to the Director of Christian Education by August 31, 2023. Failure to provide this information by August 31, 2023 will result in forfeiture of the award.